“I expose slavery because to expose it is to kill it.
Slavery is one of those monsters of darkness to whom the light of truth is death.
I believe every time that we pray the truth of Christ is shining in the darkness,
so I thank all of you prayer partners that are standing up for justice. You are changing the world!”
~ Frederick Douglass, Prayer for Freedom ~
Slavery occurs when one person completely controls another person, using violence or the threat of violence, to maintain that control, exploits them economically and they cannot walk away.
The modern-day slave trade is one of the fastest growing industries in the world, enslaving more than 30 million individuals today. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, “After drug dealing, trafficking of humans is tied with arms dealing as the second-largest criminal industry in the world.”
More people are enslaved today than have been enslaved throughout history. It is very important that we as believers pray for this terrible injustice.
How do we Pray?
- Pray for more people to join in prayer and if possible, to reach out to those involved in human trafficking, both the sex workers and syndicate leaders.
- Pray for detailed legislation that will give the police a legal right to deal with this type of violence against women and also against young boys.
- Pray for human trafficking to be exposed so that it is brought to the attention of the public and public awareness of what is happening is increased. Pray that people will raise a standard of prayer about this issue in their country.
- Pray for the church to reach out to victims of human trafficking with sensitivity and great compassion.
- Pray for community-based projects to address the problem of human trafficking in areas where there is a lot of activity.
- Human trafficking across international borders requires cooperation and collaboration between countries if it is to be tackled effectively. Pray for such structures to be raised to combat crime.
- Pray for the ones who are paying for these 'services' - that God will free them from the spirit of lust and fill them with His Spirit! Pray that their lives will be transformed - that they will become the ones who build up communities instead of taking advantage of the vulnerable.
- Let us pray according to Lam.2:18-19: Their heart cried out to the Lord, "O wall of the daughter of Zion, let tears run down like a river day and night; give yourself no relief; give your eyes no rest. Arise, cry out in the night at the beginning of the watches; pour out your heart like water before the face of the Lord. Lift your hands toward Him for the life of your young children, who faint from hunger at the head of every street."